Teaching practice is an integral part of any teacher training course, and it is important that you choose a TESOL course that has a practical element. Most recognised qualifications require 6 hours of assessed teaching practice and CELTA is no different.
Teaching practice serves a number of purposes on your training course. Here we focus on some of the most important ones:
- Teaching practice helps to overcome those initial nerves you may have about standing up in front of a class. On a course like CELTA where you start your teaching practice on the second day, there is very little time to get nervous before you start.
- Teaching practice is like training wheels on your bike. It gives you a chance to try new things while having the benefit of support. Nobody jumps on a bike and can ride straight away – teaching is the same. You need to practice in a safe environment before you go out into the world and get paid for it.
- Teaching practice gives you the opportunity to put into practice the things you have learnt in your input sessions on the course. With the teaching practice spread out over the duration of the course on CELTA, you are given the opportunity to constantly add new things to your teaching. Your tutors will slowly but surely expose you to new techniques and ideas that you can then try out for yourself.
- Teaching practice = experience. Employers are always looking for experience and teaching is no different. If your qualification involves teaching practice you instantly have more credibility than if it did not due to your experience
- Teaching practice is essential to be a qualified TESOL teacher in Australia and many other countries. Without this your qualification will not be accepted.
- Teaching practice is fun! The reason to get into teaching is because it is a great way to meet new people, experience new things and generally have a great time while getting paid. Teaching practice gives you an insight into this life.
For more information about CELTA and TESOL courses visit https://www.lexistesoltraining.com/